onsdag 1 oktober 2014

Problems installing language pack sp1 for CRM 2013

I have just patched some servers to SP1 for Dynamics CRM 2013 and as usual it went smoothly, well most of it. The Language pack for Swedish had some hickups and as usual the error messages are far from brilliant.
 
So patch Thursday was the agenda last evening and the main show was SP1 for CRM 2013, a bit late perhaps but given the update rollup mess of 2011, I might even advocate it was quite early.

Some background, the server that gave me the issue is a lab server running on Windows Server 2008R2 and has been upgraded from CRM 2011. When I did the upgrade from 2011 I uninstalled the MUI, which was Swedish/1053, and installed the MUI of CRM 2013, however the update rollups of the MUI was still present in the list of installed updates, even though the product was uninstalled. That is perhaps not the most pretty uninstall job I've ever seen.
When I installed the CRM 2013 MUI everything was working so I didn't think much about it, perhaps it was just a text record still present was my thought. When I was installing UR1 and 2 for CRM 2013 everything was working too, so no biggie.

However, last night the MUI installation of CRM 2013 crashed with the following error message: The given key was not present in the dictionary.

Googling this gave me not so much but there was one link to Microsoft's forums saying that the problem is a registry entry in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CusrrenVersion/Uninstall/KB29411390_Mui_1053, which indeed was where the install log was pointing.
To start with, this is sort of funny considering that the SP1 is that very KB, so what is going on here?

The solution in the forum post was to reinstall the server since they didn't want to mess with the registry. That was not perhaps what I was looking forward to be doing so the hunt continued.

Considering that the issue seemed to have something to do with uninstall information I started by trying to reinstall the MUI SP2 if something had gone wrong there. That repair went smoothly with no issues. Next stop was the remaining SP of the CRM 2011 MUI, which had not been possible to remove earlier since the product had been removed.

Despite this I tried to uninstall it and to my great surprise it actually started doing something, which would take 30 minutes to complete. After a bit of waithing the UR was uninstalled with the popup message sayin "repair complete", oh well, it's gone now. Looking at the list of installed programs, there was a CRM 2011 MUI present not, so I uninstalled that one too.

After this operation, the install of  CRM 2013 MUI SP1 went as expected. Now I'm not very impressed by the uninstallers of Dynamics CRM, why isn't the rollups uninstalled with the program? The next question I have is why did this become an issue with SP1 but not with UR1 and 2? Lastly how come I was able to uninstall the UR of CRM 2011 all of a sudden and that it seems to have reinstalled the MUI while I was uninstalling.

Maybe this can help someone out there.

Rickard Norström
Developer at CRM-Konsulterna
www.crmkonsulterna.se


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar