I was installing a CRM 2011 server the other day to do an upgrade for a customer and, yes I know this sounds impossible but I ended up with an error I haven't seen before.
It really was my own fault but still. I had installed the SQL server on the machine and then renamed it which made the SQL server behave in a bit interesting way. My CRM installation whined a bit about the server name not being the same as the SQL instance name which made no sence at all to me but when the reporting services complained too I ran the reporting services setup tool and this showed me that it was looking for an SQL server with a different name than what I expected.
This blog article shows how to deal with it https://zhongchenzhou.wordpress.com/2012/04/29/dynamics-crm-2011-installation-error-the-instance-name-must-be-the-same-as-computer-name/ .You will have to re-point the reporting services too, but that's a bit more intuitive.
Someone else would probably say something along the lines of "my eight year old can do this".
Developer at CRM-Konsulterna